Coconut Oil is largely consumed in tropical countries like India, Sri Lanka, Thailand, etc. It has a host of benefits for the skin, hair and even for the overall health. It has amazing properties that can fight diseases and infections. Ancient Ayurvedic practices were also dependent on coconut oil for preparation of medicines. Fact: It is largely consumed as an “exotic” food in the West. The Coconut Research Centre has hailed the following benefits of coconut oil:
- Coconut is a holy grail of the dry skin beauties. It acts as an effective moisturiser to prevent skin flaking and dryness. You can fight ageing with this miracle oil as it treats wrinkles and skin sagging. Coconut Oil is a very good anti- oxidant, acting against pre mature ageing of skin. It can cure diseases like eczema and psoriasis. Because of all this skin benefits, it forms an excellent ingredient in skin care products like creams, soaps and lotions. You can practically use it for removing your makeup, as a lip balm, for smoothening your cuticles, over rough patches on your body. The benefits are endless.
- It does wonders to your hair. Coconut oil is anti- inflammatory and has anti- bacterial properties. It can prevent dandruff and lice. It promotes healthy hair by penetrating your hair shafts instead of just staying on the exterior. It also acts as an excellent conditioner and restricts protein loss. Ensure regular massage to reap maximum benefits.
- Promotes Weight Loss. The fatty acid chains increase the body’s metabolic rate and prevents weight deposits on the abdominal area. It improves digestion and liver function. Many athletes include coconut oil in their diet as it contains fewer calories than processed vegetable oil. This is the reason why people inhabiting coastal areas who use coconut oil as a staple for cooking are normally not overweight or obese.
- Promotes Heart health. A large propaganda was aimed at spreading rumours about the coconut oil being harmful for the heart because of its high saturated fat content. In fact, studies have found out that it miraculously benefits the cardiovascular health, and lowers blood pressure. It also prevents the damage caused to the arteries due to a sedentary lifestyle. Pre- menopausal women can ensure a normal lipid profile by including coconut oil in their diets.
- Strengthens the Immunity. Healthy acids that make up coconut oil have anti-microbial properties that prevent diseases like herpes, Influenza, mouth infections and also HIV. You can keep all harmful bacteria and viruses at bay by consuming coconut oil. It heals bruises and cuts effectively by forming a layer that cuts off contact with dust and air and the microbes therein.
- Keeps you Stress free. Applying a layer of coconut oil on your temples, wrist, the back of your ears while meditating can sooth your senses. You can say good bye to the fatigue that affects your body post work.
- Improves Dental Health. Coconut oil prevents decay by limiting calcium loss from your teeth. Calcium absorption is facilitated which promotes strong teeth. It prevents yellowing of the enamel. Plaque, gingivitis and all forms of oral problems can be reduced by swishing coconut oil in your mouth for a few minutes.
What do you think?
You must be logged in to post a comment.